Sep 11, 2009

Are You Ready For Some Football?

Football season is here.  That's all there is to it.  To keep it real, I don't like football.  I can't follow the game and don't care to learn the rules.  All I know is that big, brawny men run around in tight pants and tackle each other.  There's something about a touchdown as well, right? I remember when I started bartending at a sports bar owned by a former NY Jets player, he suggested I learned the game.  That way, I could engage customers in game related convo.  Yeah. Ok. I wound up just watching highlights on ESPN before my shift and bringing those up to dudes at the bar. I had no idea what I was talking about when I said shit like, "Did you see that pass?!" and they never seemed to notice the difference. Cleavage reigned supreme.  Anyway, I figured since 'tis the season, I might as well share a football related song.  It was on  the DJ Muggs vs. GZA album Grandmasters released in 2005. Sidebar: The track General Principles is the illest joint on there in my opinion. Check it out when you're done here. Seriously. The GZA, who is the main emcee on the album finds a way to mention almost every NFL team on the track Queen's Gambit.  It's storytelling at its wittiest.  Plus, the title of the song is a Chess game reference.  It's an opening move that frees the Queen on the chessboard almost immediately. And you know that bitch can move around any way she wants. Gotta love that. Chess. Now there's a game I can get into.  But for all you football fans out there- have a listen. He might have mentioned your favorite team somewhere in the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air It Out.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin