Nov 11, 2010

Throwback Thursdays



Hello B-Boys and B-Girls. Da Sharon Getty has a very special treat for you today.  I'm pulling a video from my own personal VHS archives today.  Yes, I had this video on tape and can recall very clearly which video came right after it. It was Understand Me, Vanessa by Antexx which I already featured when I first started Throwback Thursdays.  Go watch it over here when you're done with today's feature.  Why not? Anyway, 1991 was an interesting year for Hip Hop.  I can actually mark that as a cusp where conscious music like this, street chronicles (think Kool G Rap)  and even party music (think Heavy D) shared the same space and time. But none of it was irrelevant. It all had its place. I wish I could say the same for what passes for Hip Hop today. (Sigh) So I bring to you today, one of the most slept on posse cuts of all time.  The line up is something you're not likely to ever see again, realistically.  Harmony, Kid Capri, Freddie Foxxx, LL Cool J, MC Lyte, Queen Latifah, KRS-One, Ms. Melodie, Big Daddy Kane and Run-DMC joined forces to bring food for thought to the masses with H.E.A.L (Human Education Against Lies) Every emcee seemed to complement one another on this single that still is so very important when you listen to the lyrics.  LL is noticeably missing from the video but that's okay. The video still evokes good feelings for me.  Summertime in NYC.  The Do The Right Thing poster behind Kid Capri.  The classic Jeep. The fashion, the vibe, the messages and sense of community. Da Sharon Getty's favorite line? "Everybody rise...as I present to a jet black crowd, What it's like to be black and proud..." Call me stuck if you want-but I'll never let go of such a positive time.  So glad I hit record that day. So, so glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air It Out.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin