Apr 9, 2009

Throwback Thursdays


What becomes of the brokenhearted? Well, if you're anything like Guru- before going from Ex to the Next, you might be a little Lovesick. In 1991, I was nowhere near understanding the emotions that could fuel a song like that. Flash forward to three years later however, and we both could have pulled up a chair over a bottle of Henny to build on that one. My relevant memory with one half of Gang Starr goes something like this:

I met Mr. Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal in a club some years ago. He seemed cool enough. I told him I'd been a fan since the days of Manifest. Somehow that opened Pandora's Box. How does fan equal groupie? It doesn't. Not in my book, anyway. He said, "Damn, my voice sounded mad young back then." Then he proceeded to introduce me to Fredro Starr by asking, "Wait, remember Onyx?" Umm...Didn't I just tell this cat I was a fan since before the Step in the Arena album? Who was he really tryin' to play at that moment? Me or Mr. Shiftee? I dunno. Don't care. He asked for my number like it was a given that I'd come up off them digits. I had to let him know not to get it twisted. He might have had Mass Appeal back in the day, but riding the wave of that left him washed a long time ago. Anywho, he didn't seem so "deep like a river" after that exchange- but dude has his place in Hip-Hop history, so I won't hold that bravado against him...entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air It Out.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin